The most serious crime that an individual can be charged with is the murder or criminal homicide of another person. The state of Pennsylvania has defined criminal homicide as “the intentional, knowing, reckless, or negligent cause of another person’s death.” Though there are a number of different crimes that fall under this umbrella, all are serious and will have significant lifelong consequences. It is of the utmost importance to retain the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney that can fight on the individual’s behalf if they are charged with a homicide.
If an individual is charged with murder, there are three categories that their charge may fall into, each with different consequences.
- Murder in the first degree is the charge assigned for a criminal homicide when a person intentionally kills another.
- Those convicted face the potential for life in prison or the death penalty
- Murder in the second degree is the charge assigned for a criminal homicide committed in the commission of a felony
- This may subject a person to life in prison
- Murder in the third degree is assigned for all other murder charges
- The individual may face a felony in the first degree and up to 40 years of jail time
If you have been charged with a homicide in Pennsylvania, contact our firm today.
If you have been charged with a crime in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and require strong legal representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney, The Conner Law Group is here to help. Contact The Conner Law Group to schedule a consultation today.